Ed McKie wrote
>I have a "problem" with the "Events" in Legacy.
>Being somewhat pedantic, I do not regard many of the items listed in
>the events section as being "events" but something else entirely.
>Mainly it is the occupations, which to my mind are not events as such,
>but something which occurred over a period of time.  So that when I see
>occupations listed under events it jars on my eye, and I have not been
>able to find a work around for this apart from putting all the
>occupations in the notes.
>Anyone else have any ideas on this ?  I have used the events section as
>it is part of the programme, but to contemplate say a massive editing
>job when producing a Web page or a book I find quite daunting.

I know just what you mean because I suffer from the same sort of
pedantry myself!

ith, for example, Occupation I find there are two way of looking at it.
On the one hand there is the "Event" of being appointed to a certain job
and on the other hand there is the ongoing "Fact" of a person having a
particular occupation.

I have the same problem with Residence "Events."  In some cases, I know
when a person actually purchased/moved into a property and I want to
record that, together with details of the property (eg, "2-bedroom semi-
detached house" or "3-room apartment").  Im most cases, I only know that
at the time of a particular event (marriage, birth of a child, census,
etc) a person was resident at a particular address.

It does help a little if you think of "Event(s)" as being shorthand for
"Event{s) and Fact(s)".  I seem to remember that Legacy does use the
term "Events/Facts" somewhere.  Ideally, though, I feel, there would be
separate lists for Events and Facts. reports would read something like
"Important Facts about John Doe are ..." and then "Notable Events in
John Doe's life were ..."
--
Jenny M Benson