Thanks for sharing your thoughtful resolution.
 Cathy

At 12:23 PM 12/03/2007, you wrote:

Thanks, Richard, Cathy and Dawn. I mulled your replies for awhile, then entered "Cooling" as a father with a "did not marry" tag, left Davis as the child's surname, left both dates but annotated her baptism with the register transcription and entered the second baptism as alt, with again a register transcription. I then adjusted notes and mulled some more, looking at what I'd done and seeking to derive general rules for other situations which I have to work through.

There can be other purposes, but mine is to organize and present what we'd found and, especially, to give the most help to any later worker. First priority must be to give all the facts - plus potential facts with cautions. Data are too hard to come by to waste, and some may not be there for a later worker to find. Second priority is to organize presentation to be as useful as possible. Included there are points like prominence for the earliest baptism, since it's surrogate for missing birth date, and arranging key data so that a copy abridged by elimination of notes etc. would still be useful. Third is to organize notes with great care. It's obvious that notes should illuminate fact and supply cautions where appropriate. Less obvious is the need for great clarity and thorough presentation regarding the compiler's reasoning, particularly regarding connections made by inference and historical interpretation. Further, one should identify possible strategies or sources which one has identified to make further progress. It's a pity to waste any effort, and a later worker may find practicable something that isn't at the moment or for the circumstances of the present compiler.

An aside: As a test, I started to rework what I had for an ancestor with no parents and an inferred son known only from cryptic banns lacking the other parish. Reorganized, the notes identified a strategy for finding ancestors via family naming patterns, and that pursuing the marriage parish, while certainly desirable, was of less potential value than finding the assumed son's birthplace. Seeing such a clear blueprint for further research left me feeling guilty that I had quit without exhausting easy searches, so I queried the IGI with a tight window over his probable birth date. His marriage dropped with the second Sunday after the last banns as the date, plus birth dates and locations for both - all in the same parish. Encouraged, I tried the naming pattern scheme and identified a single family line which fit the criteria, had a credible location and even a credible candidate. (If that holds up, it takes the line back another 5 generations, to within a decade of the 1558 wall.) There are two morals of this. One is that doing better work may benefit the compiler as well as the reader. The other is that those features of a genealogy program which encourage or force good technique in organizing the data benefit genealogy in multiple ways.

Thanks Again,

kb



Have you unlocked the real power of Legacy? Legacy 6.0 Deluxe has 92 features 
not found in the Standard Edition. Learn more about these features at 
http://legacyfamilytree.com/DeluxeEdition.asp.

Legacy User Group guidelines can be found at: 
http://www.LegacyFamilyTree.com/Etiquette.asp

To find past messages, please go to our searchable archives at: 
http://www.mail-archive.com/[email protected]/

For online technical support, please visit 
http://www.LegacyFamilyTree.com/Help.asp

To unsubscribe please visit: http://www.LegacyFamilyTree.com/LegacyLists.asp


Reply via email to