As a professional genealogist residing in the US (I perform research for
clients), the cost of Legacy is a tax deductible expense, so are the
subscriptions to online genealogy services and memberships in genealogy
societies as these expenses are necessary for the performance of my
services. Items like document copies are included in my fees to the clients,
so they are not tax deductible. Fees for documents needed to do business
such as business licenses, corporate filings, notary, legal, and d.b.a. are
also deductible. I use Legacy to track document expenses in the comments
section of the source detail. I enter the time spent acquiring the document,
and the cost of the copies. All business expenses and income are tracked
using QuickBooks.

Document fees and expenses for my personal research are not tax deductible.

Linda Altman
http://www.southerngenealogy.com
Southern Genealogy uses Legacy Family Tree! This highly acclaimed genealogy
program can be downloaded FREE at
http://www.LegacyFamilyTree.com/Index.asp?mid=6BL9QCi