Jim,
From the Individual Screen, are you clicking on the Sources icon? So
that what pops up next is called "Assigned Sources for: (person's
name) [RIN]" ?

First, is it mostly a blank list? In the middle right, is your check
box checked for "Show All Events"? Check it if you'd like to show all
the events and data that can be sourced.

If your death certificate is your source for death, highlight that
event cell. At the bottom left, click on "Copy Source to Clipboard"
icon (looks like two pieces of paper). Click "Copy/Overwrite
Existing". Now you can highlight the cell that has the event you'd
like to source also with the death certificate. Then click on the "-"
icon which stands for "Add Clipboard Source to the Current Event".

Hope this helps, although I'm not sure if this is the problem you are
talking about, either.
Susan