OK
I've reproduced it finally.
The first time there wasn't any location index I checked the FGS I was using and realised that family didn't have any locations. Changed to someone else and the location index was still missing.

I've got the Location index back by closing Legacy and deleting
book.usr (in the Legacy program folder)
and starting again.

Leon, when using the Publication Centre, there is only one place to check for adding the Location Index and that is on the Additional Tab under Indexes.

Hope that helps.
I haven't time currently to check whether I can reproduce the index disappearing.

Cathy