Linda:

I was using "British North America" in the country position for these
situations but it created a very long location name and became tedious
reading in reports.  Then someone pointed out to me that British North
America wasn't used as a designation until much later.  Now I use the
official name of the colony (which can be found at Wikipedia) in the country
position and only use "British North America" if I'm not sure of the
specific colony for an event.  By the way, AniMap can be a real sanity-saver
if you're working on colonial ancestors.  It's not cheap, but it's worth
every penny.

For Canada, you should use Upper/Lower, East/West depending on the
timeframe.  As with the colonies, I put this in the country position for
better readability.  Canadian locations prior to the formation of
Upper/Lower Canada are still a problem for me.  During that time Ontario was
technically part of Quebec, but to show an ancestor who was born in the
Niagara area in the 1780's as "Quebec" would be very confusing so I use "now
Ontario" although I'm not sure this is the ultimate solution.

I don't know how these suggestions would impact other features in Legacy,
but so far they haven't created any problems for me.  I'll be interested to
see what others say.

Kirsten