-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] Behalf Of Jack
Earnshaw
Sent: Friday, July 13, 2007 3:01 PM
To: LegacyUserGroup@legacyfamilytree.com
Subject: RE: [LegacyUG] REAL locations

You are so right in accepting (after Ron's info) that you should enter the
location as you found it.

But please don't spoil your response with talking about others with "non
standard" data.

By all means state "non USA" data. As for the rest of the world - each
country has its own way of recording villages, towns etc etc.

As Ron said there is no such thing as a "standard" four field notation. ISO,
EN or any other body has not pronounced to my knowledge. It is just
something that seems to fit most places in the USA.

I will NOT be squeezed into such a notation for myself or any of my
relatives as we have always lived in England - and are proud of the fact
that conventions were always broken. I live in Wokingham, Berkshire,
England - note that there are only three parts to the location and nobody
can tell me that I need to add a spurious comma where it doesn't belong. And
guess what - Wokingham is a town and not a city as most web sites seem to
think or require.

I'd like to know who tried to tell everybody that there is a standard
notation that uses 4 fields. Even Legacy allows you to enter data as you
wish to - with 1, 2 or even 25 commas if you wish.

So please, everybody, THINK about the information you have and record it as
it is presented to you, without messing with it so that it looks like an
American city.

Jack