To some extent this problem may be resolvable if we have the  ability, (for
which we can hope in 7.0 ) whereby we can create our own Geolocations. I
have a lot of my family living very close, but  in areas with different
names. They may all be within walking distance, but the areas are separate.
At the moment I have to use the nearest local town, but being able to give
the precise location would obviate the question of trying to shoehorn into
the Statesian structure. Also,the location is immutable, even if, in
different times,it has been called by different names.
John Clare