For the daughter's family:  You can add the child into the family, and set
the parent status's as "Guardian".  I would probably make up some type of
event to add to the child (not sure what I would call it) to indicate when
they joined the family, and later one to indicate when they left it.   And
add lots of notes!

For the son's family: the child would be entered into the
marriage(/relationship whatever) of your son and the mother.  For the parent
status enter "step-parent" for your son, and presumably "biological" for the
mother.   If you have info on the actual father, you can have the
relationship/marriage/whatever of the father and mother, the child entered
there as well, with the parent status set for both as "biological".

Hope this helps!