Karl Plenge wrote
I'm running into a lot of situations where their name in the census is actually incorrect, such as

James A when it should be James H

or the first and middle names transposed, such as

Ralph Samuel Green when it should be Samuel Ralph Green

I think it is important to record *what was written at the time*, regardless of whether or not we consider this to be "wrong." When recording Census information, I always look at the image and record what was actually written by the Enumerator, which is not necessarily what Ancestry's transcribers record!

Remember that - in the case of UK Censuses, at least - what is seen in the images is what the Enumerator wrote up in their Book, copied from the actual Census sheets filled in by (in most cases) the householder. If there is a "mistake" it is impossible to know if this was the Enumerator's error of if what the householder wrote was not exactly what we think it should have been.

I have come across many instances of transposed forenames, both in Censuses and Marriage/Death indexes. I believe that people were much less "fussy" about their names a couple of hundred years ago. Spellings were very fluid and I think it was probably quite common for, say, Mary Louise who was generally known in the family as Louise, to be recorded more or less frequently as Louise Mary.
--
Jenny M Benson