Hi again Rob and all,

Hi Bill:

How many test markers did you go with? I can see where the more the better,
but are the smaller marker tests still worthwhile?

Thanks!

Rob

I started five years ago with 12 markers and over the years upgraded to 85 markers with FTDNA. Twelve is too few, since you get too many matches with other surnames. I agree that 37 markers is getting to be the minimum necessary to fully partipate in a surname project. But I have proved Hurst branches with 25 markers.

I've also taken the full-sequence mtDNA test; but HVR1+HVR2, the mtDNAPlus test, is a good place to start. Other companies sell an HVR3 test, but FTDNA includes that in HVR2.

Relative Genetics has been purchased by Ancestry.com. It will be interesting to see how that develops in the future.

Bill Hurst