I, too, Jim and Jennifer, am beginning to deal with my growing mountain of
papers and photos.  I bought acid-free archival quality boxes that are
fitted with 3-ring binders, and I bought the archival sleeves into which
each document goes.

If it isn't an original document, I write the source or provenance on the
back. All documents go into the archival sleeves, and I use my Dymo Duo
label printer (imagine the fun my children got out of me asking for THAT one
Christmas; my daughter fondly told me that I truly am the ultimate nerd) to
print a label which has 1) the reference number and 2) the full source as I
would record it in my Legacy file.

I invented my own numbering system, which does not make any reference to
Legacy numbers. One of my documents might be numbered W.HR.4.will(1887)
Which to me indicates Walker, the HR (Helton Rutherford family), the 4th
child, a will, and the year. While completely unscientific, it does allow me
to see at a glance exactly where the document falls in my research. My hope
is that if I keep the surname reference letter, and the given name
references together, the documents will roughly sort into a browsable
formation.

At this point, I am just slamming them into notebooks, willy nilly. When I
feel I have gained some ascendancy over the stacks, I will begin to sort,
and determine how many notebooks I need for each surname. In the meantime,
they are at least IN notebooks, and shelveable (is that a word?).

I also have an event for each individual with a document - in the event, I
list any filed document applicable to that individual, and the file number
assigned. This is a little unwieldy, as some documents reference numerous
people - I'm sure I'll end up jettisoning some of these procedures and
instituting different ones. Meantime, at least I have a (flawed) plan.

Janis