I think Co. is the standard abbreviation for county.  If you look at county
government
e-mail addresses and websites, they use co.
www.co.goochland.va.us is the website for Goochland County, Virginia government.

Cty. could be interpreted as city.  In Virginia, the large cities are separate
from any county - an entity in themselves.  For example, there is a Richmond
County in Virginia - not near the city of Richmond - AND people living in the
surrounding counties to the city of Richmond have Richmond, Virginia addresses,
but they are in a county!  Richmond, Henrico County, Virginia, USA; Richmond,
Chesterfield County, Virginia, USA; Richmond, Goochland County, Virginia, USA;
Richmond, Hanover County, Virginia, USA - and probably a couple of others!  I
use Richmond, Richmond (city), Virginia, USA for locations in the city.