Kirsten,

You can add a signature without using an extension. Use the following steps:

1. Create a text file to contain your signature in an appropriate place ("My Documents", etc.).

2. In the signature file, add "-- " on a line by itself as the *first* line. Add any other lines that you want to appear in the signature. There used to be an informal convention that sigs be no more than four lines (but that was in the times of the 300 baud teletype printer/terminals). I don't think anyone would complain if it were longer than four lines now, but, people being people, you never can tell. From my own personal opinion, though, please refrain from including political or religious proclamations.

3. In Thunderbird:
   Select Tools -> Account Settings
Select the appropriate mail account. This is the title line for the account, the one that contains the account name, usually just above the line that says "Server Settings". (If you have more than one mail account, you can have different signatures for each).
   Check the "Add this signature box" and select "Choose".
   Navigate to the appropriate signature file.
   Select the file and then "Open".
   Select "OK".

That's it. Thunderbird will now use that signature for all outgoing email for that particular account. As long as you don't change the name of the sig file, you won't have to touch Thunderbird again. If you ever want to change the signature, you only have to change the contents of the signature file.

Ed Lawler

Gene Young  spoke thusly:
Kirstin Martinez wrote:
I use Thunderbird. Is there a way to automatically add the hyphen hyphen space in thunderbird?

There is an add on for Thunderbird called Signature which can be installed from https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/578.

Just create a custom signature with the hyphens inserted as the first line.