Hi Denise,

Jumping in again ;-)
There are a number of different filing systems.
I file paper by type - the idea came from Clooz - the only useful thing I found from it.

When I first tried to file by family or surname I never got much done as the pile for duplication or cross referencing because they belonged to more than one surname or family was greater than the number of pieces that disappeared into the file. Others have no trouble. I think its all to do with the way your brain works :-)

So I enter eg Birth 012 in the FileID for a Birth Certificate or Family 0147 for a family tree or family group sheet - then I can, if necessary find the original very quickly. Sometimes that's a Master Source and sometimes - especially if I get a heap of Family Group Sheets from a branch of the family - it's in the Source Detail.

Re Scanning problems - there's a useful though pretty quiet Rootsweb list on Scanners and photos - every now and then there is a flurry of messages. To subscribe to the list, send an email to [EMAIL PROTECTED] with the word 'subscribe' without the quotes in the subject and the body of the message

Cathy