-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] Behalf Of ronald
ferguson
Sent: Wednesday, August 22, 2007 11:44 AM
To: LegacyUserGroup@legacyfamilytree.com
Subject: RE: [LegacyUG] Estimated Locations

Kirsten,

I have not found any acceptable way around this problem so I use the
smallest geographical area that I am certain of , this may be the name of a
country, a county a city or what have you. I may put a comment in the notes
if I think that there is a specific place but cannot prove it.

There is a circumstance in which I do use angle brackets. In the
English/Welsh 1841 census it recorded the birth place as only "within
county" or "outside county" or country name if not England/Wales. I do,
therefore, have angle brackets when I have no idea where someone was born,
except that it was eg "not Westmorland" which I record as: <Not
Westmorland>.

It should also be noted that where a birth is registered (in the UK) is not
necessarily where they were born - this actually applies to me.