Hi Denise,

I don't know askSam - but it sounds a great idea and I just had a quick look. I also have a freeform database which isn't as structured - at least in the way I use it. I do keep research ideas in it.

I'm really good at losing bits of paper so I put thoughts and possibilities - your random bits - into the research notes of relevant people. I never publish these - they're just for me - and whether I get back to that person to consider what I have on them later today or in a couple of years time - it's all there.

I also put there deadends I have followed and why I found them dead ends. eg a census or marriage index find and how I decided it was wrong.

Cathy