Hi Paul,

"what if I wanted to put all of this stuff back into the original huge file again...And have two files, one of the direct line, and one with more of the branches? Would that be a hassle or a simple match/merge process as long as dates of birth, parents or other important information coordinated?"

If it was me, I would keep one large file as my database. If I then wanted to carve off a section of it for sharing with someone else, there are ways to do that.

Keeping the database together will help prevent omissions when you're updating a person who appeared in more than one file - very easy to forget when you're in the middle of things! And how often have we all found that one branch of the family intersects with another that we didn't know about before? If they're in separate files, you might miss that connection.

Right this minute, I'm not practising what I preach, LOL!! I've got my partner's family in a separate database to my family, but I'm working on combining them. I would be *very* surprised if I found a connection between his family and mine (though I learned by chance at the weekend that his former boss's grandparents were friends with my grandparents!), but it will help with keeping the master lists (locations, sources, etc) consistent. Already I get frustrated with how I've entered the same thing in two different ways in the two files, so I'm looking forward to getting that sorted.

Hope this helps.  :-)

Kind Regards,
Wendy Howard
--