I am the adoptive mother of a child born in Guatemala to parents who
were unknown to anyone, including the Guatemalan courts.   My child's
birth name was given to him by the court system and is not his legal
name now.  Why would I use it at all although I see no harm in putting
it in an AKA or in notes?  When we adopted our son, the Guatemalan
adoption decree changed his name to his Spanish given names with my
surname and my husband's surname shown as his last name in the
Hispanic fashion.  That became his legal name.  However, he used the
given names we gave him plus just our surname until this began to
cause problems with working, getting a driver's license, etc.  At that
time we did a legal name change.

However, our son's situation is atypical.  In domestic adoptions a new
birth certificate is issued, showing the name given to the child by
his adoptive parents and showing them as the parents.  Legally the
original name is irrelevant.

I know that genealogists focused on blood lines find this hard to
understand.  Actually it is possible to change a child's birth date as
well.  This is sometimes done with internationally adopted children
who are delayed developmentally because of early deprivation.  Just as
the name can be changed, so can the birth date.  In addition, there
are internationally adopted children whose exact ages are not known
and for whom a date of birth must be assigned.

I think that there are many in the adoption community who would be
offended by the birth name being shown as the primary or "real" name.
Practically and legally, it is the adoptive name that counts.

Sara