-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Cathy
Sent: Sunday, September 23, 2007 8:41 PM
To: LegacyUserGroup@legacyfamilytree.com
Subject: Re: [LegacyUG] An argument for splitting? (knowing I may get
"lumps" for this)

Hi Pat,

Basically it sounds as if you are only using the
Source Details sections of a source just for
comments rather than for the true Source Detail.

Taking your example:
I'd make The Snider Family GenForum a Master
Source and put the details of a particular posting in the Source Detail.

or, to use a more common example as I'm not familiar with GenForums.

A Census is a Master Source. (whether you make
the Master Source the census for a particular
country (English Census) or for a particular
country for a particular year (1841 Census) or
for a state (1860 Census for Michigan) or county
- depending on how much of a splitter you are).
Regardless of how you've lumped or split, I think
a particular census household, belongs in the
source detail. I put the reference in the Source
Detail and a transcription of the household in the Source Detail text.

To put the actual household in the Master Source
is to completely ignore the structure of having
Master Sources and Source Details. It can be done
and it may suit you better but you need to be
aware that you aren't using Legacy sourcing as designed.

Adding to the confusion, Legacy isn't consistent
on its use of terminology for the Source Details.
Sometimes it uses Citation or Citation Details
for the Source Details and sometimes Citation
refers to one whole use of a Source - Master source plus the details.

Cathy