HOWDY -
I am just an ole Texas Granny, born, bred & bruised (not from people, but from
horses & cattle) with ancestors coming into this wild frontier  in  1834
(exactly100 years ago on of my own dd - mm - yy!  ---- Am "newby" to Legacy,
but not to family history or this one-eyed monster in front of me right
now!......Sadly, I lost all of my database (had separate back-up and all), but
thank heavens, I also make paper back-ups (and store them in elsewhere).  Don't
even ask "How did it happen" - DON'T ever say, that won't happed to me
because.... IT CAN HAPPEN, no matter how many precautions one makes (Been There
Done That).  Thus changed software, not because my former was unreliable, I
just wanted more features, and am now has happy as an ole granny be with a tote
full of puppies! Yep, I'm having to re-enter EVERY THING by hand - on about 10
different lines with at least three-four crossing the waters, and the others
still wadding along the western shoreline.

I am pleased to find caring people witin this group who are willing to help
others w/Legacy tools, etc. as well as tips as to how to enter info regarding
instances in their ancestor's early lives.  I am extremely  pleased with the
recent posts regarding geography & history being inserted withline Time Line
charts!  PLEASE don't make your records solely of names, dates and places - -
bring them ALIVE with economics, history, social, geographic and political
factors which they endured during their life time. Most of the GenWeb counties
give an excellent county history, Most towns, cities also give same, Google
will become your buddy - It can all but fine the mole on your back!

Also - don't forget those ole family stories handed down for generations - -
some may be far fetched - Remember the game many of us use to play as a youth
called "telephone"  from beginning to end, the "phone call" had all but
completely changed? - Many family stories handed down for generations may be
true, but did not actually involve them - children use to love hearing the
elders of the family tell stories - - this in time, descendants believed it
happed to their own - HISTORY & GEOGRAPHY will help you prove/disprove a
situation - It just takes time! (Been there and after 30 years (being put on
the shelf) have found what actually happened. through historical facts,
geographic features, political happenings, etc. by tracing their migration
trail from his TN birth in TN in 1816 to Texas in 1854) - HOWEVER, within you
family stories - there will always be a hidden clue or two (if you concentrate
on the story in parts)

Establish a migration pattern (gather census inform from birth to 1790 if
possible - research ALL members of individual familes - - by that time, you
will have been given or have found these "stories" - - take time go go back in
history: what happened on the route in time periods - what did they do within
the area to survive - their mother retained her family surname as did her
children who whose DNA did not match to others within the Family surname
project - - DON'T ever jump to conclusions - Their father was murdered, they
never got around to getting married - - County Chancery Court Records are
fabulous  - you NEVER will begin to realize what one may find until one spends
the time reading the old records; new clues will evolve - - even will extend
your lineage because they take testimony from all involved bringing  in family
members - even included mention of Cherokee Application made and bingo -
Researched and found the application (not one, but six
 having the same Indian Roll Registry Number.  It's a wide-wide world with
solely names, dates, and places can be compared to just gettin' the skillet
warm!

I have found that Legacy is just what the doctor ordered! - I'm a happy camper,
just learning as I go, use Help when I can't figure it out, and now, am finding
out tips galore THANKS TO YOU.   THANKS A MILLION!

Granny - Ya'll HAVE A GOOD DAY!
Still Searchin' & Completing a LEGACY for my own descendants!