Donna,
Since you are using GMAIL, you can see how it keeps all the threads of
one topic nicely together, thereby making 15 emails look like just 6
or 7. I use the yellow star feature in GMAIL to highlight the emails
that I find VERY useful. (Don't do it too often, or else it is like
highlighting a whole page; how does anything stand out?)

I don't delete the LUG emails from GMAIL, because every once in a
while, I search them for a topic that at the time I wasn't interested
in, but suddenly find myself needing to learn a bit more about. I find
it easier to do from my Inbox then from the Archives. (But my LUG
gmails go back to March 2006.)

If you have created a Label for your LUG email (easy to do, I can send
instructions if you need them), then all you need to do to go through
them quickly is to select all your LUG-labeled emails from the list at
left, start reading the oldest one, and if you don't find the subject
matter compelling, ignore all the others in the thread that show up
below it, and click on "Newer" in the upper right hand corner. I can
go through ten threads in a few minutes if I feel I don't have
anything to add or learn from.

I hope these ideas help you.
Susan Daily