From: Dick Nixon <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: LegacyUserGroup@legacyfamilytree.com
Sent: Fri, 19 Oct 2007 12:20 pm
Subject: [LegacyUG] Lumping vs.Splitting

I thought it would come up but it never did.

I understand the differences between the two, the pros and cons, etc.
But I haven't seen anyone make a case based on what professional
genealogists would do.  And there may not be one.

The Legacy tapes on sourcing seem to favor splitting and they do have
some pretense of being "the right way" but I haven't seen Geoff or
anyone else from Legacy weigh in on the LUG discussions.

Are there any genealogy pros or academics out there who would express
an opinion on which is more acceptable in the professional world?  To
the professional societies or the lineage societies?  Or what Ms.
Mills would do (as her name gets cited quite a bit)?

(Please don't turn this into a long argument about individual freedom,
 or just an opinion fest.  If there is a preferred way, please give
your sources.  :-)   )

Dick Nixon

http://mail.aol.com