Hi Bob,

Thought I'd add my two cents here . . . a variation on the themes presented so
far.

For the indentifying of unknowns by adding something concerning a relationship
to the name field, I put this information, in an abbreviated form, in the Title
Suffix field, and enclose it in double square brackets. This way I can see the
information on screen - especially useful in the Index View, and it doesn't
print out in reports such as for the family group.

For example:

1. First name known, last name unknown, spouse name known:
First name Jane, Last Name [[-?-]], Suffix [[w/o John Brown]], and add an AKA
as Mrs. Jane Brown.

2. Last name known, first name unknown:
First Name has only a "?" without the quote marks, Last Name Smith, Suffix
[[h/o Susan Smith]]

Note: w/o = wife of,  h/o = husband of

Reports show only the known part of the name with perhaps a ? mark for the
first name [not yet satisfied with this "?" but it works], with indexes giving,
in some cases at least, an AKA with the page number.for more information about
the individual.

If the name is completely unknown, and no other information is known either, I
leave all fields blank.

The Index Tab can show the bracketed suffixes as well as AKA's, and I've added
the Spouse field for even more clarity there Also, all the [[-?-]] sort
together.for the surname, and gives a quick view where more research is needed.

Just one way of doing things; and though it may seem a bit convoluted, it works
for me.

Dan