Kate,

I want to thank you for your very detailed step by step on how to
downloading your information from your Ancestry family tree.

I have wanted to ask this question for several months and was unsure
if anyone else would
be doing this.

Now I have it in a form I can print to use when I am ready for this step.

Thank you again,
Marilyn

On Nov 7, 2007 10:16 PM, Kate <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Tom,
>
> These are the steps I took to upload the ged.com to Ancestry:
>
> ALWAYS run maintenance check & repair files, and BACK-UP at least once
> before you start uploading and downloading.
>

> 1.  I opened my family database in Legacy.  I chose File>Export>ged.com file
> (ged.com 5.0 only) at this point you have to carefully select the choices
> for your export.  The Help Index Export Ged.com Files has all of the options
> listed with full descriptions. Then, a menu opened asking me to name this
> new family file and to save it in C:\Legacy\data.
>
> 2.  After that import, I opened and checked to be sure it was exactly like I
> wanted it to be. After you make any necessary corrections, then I export
> this family file choosing File>Export>ged.com file (ged.com 5.0 only) make
> sure I carefully select the choices.  I save it to a folder on my desktop
> where I can easily find it.  The suffixes will be there.
>

> 3.  Login to Ancestry>My Ancestry>Upload ged.com.  When it asks for the
> location of the ged.com file you will know exactly where you save it on your
> desktop.  Click on that file and Ancestry will upload it just in minutes.
>
> 4.  When I have accumulated about 250 new names and information then I
> reverse the process and download it to my computer.
>
> 5. Import the new ged.com file to a new family file.  After you have
> reviewed the new data file and are satisfied that it is the way you want it,
> then, you can merge it into the family file you created in #2.  The images
> of the historical documents and generations you have added from Ancestry
> will be there.
>
> For me, I would never attempt to work with 1,000 individual names at one
> time.  I work with smaller numbers and find them much easier to handle.
> This is a very cumbersome and tedious process.  I would much rather be safe
> and sure.  If I mess up a few 100 names later, I can always go back to the
> last good point in both the files on my computer and the files on Ancestry.
>
> When I have downloaded about 500 names, then I go through steps 1-5 again
> and upload a new family file to Ancestry and give it a new variation of the
> family name.  After week or so and I am satisfied with the new family
> database, then, I delete the first one I put on Ancestry.  I have been doing
> this for about 10 days and am very pleased with the progress and accuracy of
> what I have found and the images of documents I have attached to my files.
>
> One more thing, when I find an historical image on Ancestry that I want
> attached the family file on Ancestry. I also save it to my desktop computer
> and print out a copy of the document for my reference book.  I also do the
> same thing for the page that you see before you view the document.  It will
> give you all the information you need for your Master Source, detail and
> Citations.
>
> Hope this helps.
>
> Kate

> [...]

What sunshine is to flowers, smiles are to humanity. These are but
trifles, to be sure; but, scattered along life's pathway, the good
they do is inconceivable.
    ~ Joseph Addison (1672-1719)