Perhaps all of you already know, but I just found out that if you go to WorldCat
http://worldcat.org/
(master catalog of virtually all American [& other??] libraries -- at least for their books) and put in your search entry, and find your book, then look down and you'll see a line below the entry and right above the line, the words
"Citations: Cite this entry . . . "
If you click on "Cite this entry" it will give you -- well, here's an example (minus the formatting and hence more difficult to read): for a book called "The road to Salem."

Citation Styles for "The road to Salem,"

APA

* Fries, A. L. (1944). The road to Salem. Chapel Hill: University of North Carolina Press.

Chicago (Author-Date)

* Fries, Adelaide L. 1944. The road to Salem. Chapel Hill: University of North Carolina Press.

Harvard

* FRIES, A. L. (1944). The road to Salem. Chapel Hill, University of North Carolina Press.

MLA

* Fries, Adelaide L. The Road to Salem. Chapel Hill: University of North Carolina Press, 1944.

Turabian

* Fries, Adelaide L. The Road to Salem. Chapel Hill: University of North Carolina Press, 1944.

And, of course, you can just copy and paste.

Word of warning, if you're citing a book that's gone thru multiple editions, be sure to find an example of the same edition you used, before you copy the citation.

I don't know which style (if any) is recommended by the Nat'l Gen Soc., but when I was in graduate school in history (40 years ago), Turabian was the standard.

In the English Dept., MLA was th standard.

Incidentally, I've just discovered World Cat, which has all sorts of neat things to aid the researcher (once you've registered and signed in -- no fee). You can keep a list of all the books that interest you-- just by clicking them --AND you can organize them into various lists -- so far I've just got two lists: L-SIDE [maternal] and P-SIDE [paternal -- my maiden name begins with a 'P']. You just click the book, choose the list -- and there it is!

Also I've found WorldCat to be VERY speedy (I have DSL connection to the I'net).

In addition, under the prevously-mentioned line, you have an opportunity to enter your zipcode, and then if you click on Libraries, WorldCat gives you a list of the libraries that have that particular book -- arranged in order according to how close they are to your zip code! (I just put in a particular Moravian diary and got a list of 455 libraries!! the nearest one 42 miles away.)

So you could also have lists divided into libraries, or locations, etc.

So if you haven't already used it, give it a whirl. It is VERY user-friendly.

Oh, I looked recently for a fairly rare book and found thru World Cat that HeritageQuestOnline has it.

I'm not sure of the extent to which WorldCat has digitized books but I THINK I read that this is in the works.

--
Pat

Give Legacy as a Gift for 25% Off. Visit http://tinyurl.com/2b49et