Hi Jim,
You can't replace globally through every field.

You can get a better understanding of the way Legacy stores data.

You appear to be wanting to change the location. Change the location and you change all the sentences it is used in. It is irrelevant whether it is used for a birth or a death or an occupation event etc.

Locations are changed individually in the Master Location List or by using Search and Replace on the Location fields. There are two that are relevant. The "Lists-Location" and the "Lists-Location Short - although you may want to leave the abbreviation, if it is known by others, in the Short Location.

If "(E)" always means "Östergötland län, Sweden" this is a simple process using Search and Replace.
Make sure you check: "Replace only found text with replacement text".

If you wanted to change the date format, you do this in another way though Options > Customise.

Hope that clarifies but if not ask again,
Cathy