Lets get to the true internet facts.

1) Most identity theft comes from "dumpster diving" (going through a persons
trash), from stealing mail that contains bank and credit card statements,
intercepting unsecure and poorly secured credit card/echeck transactions
over the internet, and through the use of camera phones where they take
photos of your credit cards and checks over your shoulder. There has never
been a documented case of someone using genealogical information obtained on
the internet to steal an identity. This is because in order to obtain credit
you need a social security number or if a business you need an EIN. Most
family trees do not give out this information. Many banks and other
institutions have long given up the practice of asking for your mother's
maiden name. It is fear like this that is closing access to documents for
all of us doing family research. Identity theft is real, but the
genealogical community is not where the bad guys obtain their information.

2) Most child predators do not usually surf on genealogy websites. They are
out lurking at places like myspace and utube and other social sites and
chatrooms. This is where they contact your children. However, always be
careful with your childrens information.

3) If this is a website to be shared by just family members, there are
plenty of easy security features you can use to keep out unwanted
individuals, like passwords or you can use a service like myfamy.com to have
a secure webite. This way only those you invite and give a password to can
access the information.

Linda Altman
http://www.southerngenealogy.com