Joseph  (Ragweed) wrote
I've known the date, such as August 10. But the year could be either 1853 or 1854. I've think I've tried the following:

10 Aug 1853-1854
10 Aug 1853-54
10 Aug 1853/1854
10 Aug 1853 or 1854

.....and nothing works, it takes the highest year.

I would rather not have to use "abt" or "ca" for this as use these for dates that are entirely approximate, such as "abt June 1922"

Legacy allows you to use "about", "circa" and "calculated" (with options for abbreviating each) with dates. I can understand you not wishing to confuse a truly approximate date with one where you are sure there is only a possibility of 2 years, but why not use "about" for one circumstance and "circa" for the other?

You will know immediately precisely what is indicated by the wording and you can add a note to your file for the benefit of others. (I live in hope of a "General Notes" field sometime, where we can add such information which is relevant to the whole file, not just particular individuals.)

PS Happy New Year, LUGgers! I've been away for a few weeks and have missed you all.)
--
Jenny M Benson