Geoff,

Based on my knowledge of nFS as a current user, I have some questions and
concerns about the capabilities requested below. Both are related to the fact
that nFS uses a totally different process than most researchers are familiar
with, and which can get them into trouble if they do not understand it.

First, in nFS, individuals that are in there as duplicate records are
"combined" into a folder-like system, not merged as we do in our personal
databases. Each original record is maintained and has an ID number. When
records are combined, a new record is created along with a new ID number. Since
other users can work on the combining and uncombining (sometimes in error BTW),
it seems that the ID numbers will be a shifting target. If I record an ID today
and then combine a record to create a new ID. it seems the first ID has
diminished value.

Second, The process of downloading entire pedigrees seems fraught with
potential for complications. Using one of my ancestors for an example, his
record is currently composed of 109 combined records, many with differing
information, including three different sets of parents. There are dozens more
potential duplicates whch are not yet combined. If I were to start with myself
and request a gedcom download of my pedigree, which of those (currently) 109
records should be the software choose, or should it simply include all 109,
leaving me with a massive merge job? And would it include the two bogus sets of
parents and their continuing lines? Far better it seems to me is a
synchronization process, where existing local data is compared to nFS on a
record-by-record basis and the user chooses which record and/or conflicting
data to bring over. That would be in contrast to an  en mass gedcom transfer as
seems to be indicated below.

I realize you want to wait to give specifics, but it would be nice to know
generally how you intend to deal with those difficulties.

Gary Templeman

From: "Geoff Rasmussen" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>