I believe the long-awaited Version 7 will have a dedicated place for
documents.
Meanwhile, the preferred workaround is to attach them as "Sounds", thus:
In Family View, click on the "Picture Gallery" icon
Select the "Sounds" button, this opens a "Load Sound File" box.
Navigate to the appropriate folder.
Change File Type from "Sound Files" to "All Files".
Select and Save, you are able to give the File a snappy Title..
Clicking on any document in the Gallery opens the file in appropriate
program, e.g. Word, Acrobat Reader etc.
All my Legacy-related documents are attached to a dummy person named
"Documents" so they're easy to find.
Regards