Myrna,

Sense I have never used RM I cannot comment on it. I do know that the
current Legacy does not have a charting function so she is correct on
statements #1 and #2. As far as # 3 goes I am assuming she means that Legacy
creates only 2 files for a database. As far as I am concerned having only
one file (or 2)to worry about is a plus. The Legacy .fdb database file is
really the only thing you need to transport your file and the other stuff is
just fluff.

I am an officer in the local Genealogical society. Every year we have an
expo and I set up multiple laptops with several different programs to show
the pubic (TMG, FTM, CLOOZ Etc.) and always push Legacy. I switched years
ago from FTM and never looked back. For me the sourcing capabilities ease of
use and flexibility of reports is of primary concern.

Now, back to your #1 and #2. It is my understanding that the new Legacy 7
will have charting capabilities so the top down tree is covered. A top down
tree is one where there is an ancestor at the top with his spouse both in
boxes of attached by lines. Below him (her) are their children ( to show
descendents) with a line attaching them, Below that is their children with
lines attaching and so forth. That's #1 and #2 is the ability to move the
boxes or people around to help the program, when necessary make a better
looking tree. I can only assume that Legacy 7 will do this. My 2nd Great
Grand Father had three wives and 19 children so his tree is very wide and
large.

In essence you can only guide folks to the programs you think best. Don't
try to convert someone with there mind made up. Just remember to show them
this web site: http://genealogy-software-review.toptenreviews.com/

Hope that helps,

G.C. Oliver
Athens, Ga.

GENEALOGY: Disturbing the dead and irritating the living.