I am with you, Moma!  I have a 160 GB external
drive and a flashdrive as well!  I have never lost all
my information, but have clicked on a few things by
mistake, only to watch with horror as it deleted a few
of my family lines.  :(  This will never happen
again!!  I am much less stressed using new methods
with two other back-ups in place!  :-D

Darlene
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

--- [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> Elizabeth:
>
> I store on both . . . it takes toooo long but, my
> external 500 GIGABITE can
> be taken in case of a FIRE, and we are in a high
> fire area.  I take my
> flashdrive from my laptop to my bigger office
> computer all the time.   OVERKILL, but
> I've been burned and reformated, lost stuff, etc.
> too many  times.  Good
> luck.  But I do read and save all Ron's stuff . . .
> he's  good, and seems to know
> a lot . . . and so does Cathy.   [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>

> In a message dated 2/17/2008 2:08:10 P.M. Pacific
> Standard Time,
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:
>

> Elizabeth,
>
> There's no need to buy an external hard drive  just
> for storing back-ups,
> although it would be very useful for other things
> as well. I just copy my
> back-up to a Flash Drive. It works  fine.
>

> Ron  Ferguson

> For  Genealogy, Software and Social visit:
> http://www.fergys.co.uk
> New Blog:  Open Legacy Family File with Open Office
> View the Grimshaw Family Tree  at:
> http://www.fergys.co.uk/Grimshaw/
> For The Fergusons of N.W. England  See:
> http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/fergys/

> >  Date: Sun, 17 Feb 2008 20:31:06 +0000
> > From:  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> > To:  LegacyUserGroup@legacyfamilytree.com
> > Subject: Re: [LegacyUG] re:  Sudden Shutdown
> >

> > Thanks for the tips both to you and  Cathy.
> >
> > I think I should re-schedule the scan to occur one
>  night a week and then
> > leave it switched on - it reverts to stand-by
> pretty quickly anyway. I
> > do find sometimes that it gets 'tired' as it  were
> and I then have to
> > switch off and reboot in any case. And, no, I
> don't turn it off several
> > times a day, once it is on, it's on till  bedtime.
> >
> > Now to buy an external spare hard disk as I think
> I  need that to backup
> > properly, as Cathy suggested.
> >
> >  Elizabeth
> >
> > ronald ferguson wrote:
> >> I'm afraid it's  not very environmentally
> friendly, but yes, my PC is on
> 24/7. I do, however,  have to switch it off for a
> brief period every 3 or 4
> days as it seems to  accumulate background rubbish
> which I need to get rid  off.
> >>
> >> Incidentally, although it would seem you don't do
>  it, it is not a good
> idea to switch it on and off several times a day but
>  better to leave it running.
> >>

> >> Ron  Ferguson

> >>  For Genealogy, Software and Social visit:
> >>  http://www.fergys.co.uk
> >> New Blog: Open Legacy Family File with  Open
> Office
> >> View the Grimshaw Family Tree at:
> >>  http://www.fergys.co.uk/Grimshaw/
> >> For The Fergusons of N.W.  England See:
> >> http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/fergys/

> presumably that means you
> habit of switching off

> where the shortcut
> thanks.

> [...]
=== message truncated ===

    You are never too old to set another goal or to dream a new dream."
  ~ C.S. Lewis, 1898-1963

Looking for last minute shopping deals?
Find them fast with Yahoo! Search.