I'll doublecheck another place but the Kansas Post Office book says Halstead
was established as a post office 2 Apr 1873 and that it's name changed from
Lakin.  Under Lakin it says there was a post office from 21 Feb 1872 to 2 Apr
1873 with the note "(est. in Sedgwick Co.)."

Mary Beth figgins

Jan Bennett <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote: Hi
Wonder if someone can help.  It's a little 'off topic' but I've got a
few relatives in my database from the USA.  I've entered the locations
but the county verifier states the county didn't exist in a particular
year i.e. Harvey County, Kansas didn't exist before 1872.  My question
is this, is there anywhere where I would be able to find what county a
particular town was in before the 'modern' county was created.  In
this instance I'm looking for the county for Halstead pre 1872
Any help would be appreciated
Jan