This has been an interesting discussion on citing sources. I'm still working
toward a better understanding of the way Legacy works. I decided to look at the
help file about the Source Detail and Source Detail Text and found the
following:

"You might find a book or bible that contains hundreds of family members.  The
location of each piece of information for each individual should be recorded.
Rather than record the entire source description hundreds (or thousands) of
times, taking up huge amounts of storage space, it is much more efficient to
enter a general source description once, point to it in the master list and
record just the unique information for each piece's place within that source.

Source Detail: This is usually a page number or range of page numbers.  It can
also include the item number of a microfilm roll, a line number entry, etc.

Detail Text:  Use this field to enter the actual text found in the master
source pertaining to this citation.  This is an optional field and is not
included in the sources portion of reports."

So, when you cite a Master Source, Legacy intends for you to have some detail
that would be unique for that specific event, but that you could cite that same
Master Source other times, with different detail.

Elizabeth
researching the descendants of William and Sarah (Patterson) Thompson