Connie,

Of the formats you list BMP, JPEG, TIFF do not preserve transparency. I don't
know about PSD as I'm a Gimp man and not Adobe but you are correct in that PNG
does.

For Genealogy, Software and Social visit:
http://www.fergys.co.uk
New Blog: Open Legacy Family File with Open Office
View the Grimshaw Family Tree at:
http://www.fergys.co.uk/Grimshaw/
For The Fergusons of N.W. England See:

> From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> To: LegacyUserGroup@legacyfamilytree.com
> Subject: [LegacyUG] Charting Print Question
> Date: Mon, 17 Mar 2008 16:59:41 -0700
>

> I've not had any replies to my posts on the Charting Beta List, so thought I
> would try here... Can anyone explain what I may be doing wrong?
> Connie
>
> ---------------------
> My original post the 'Chart Beta List' on Mar 8, 2008
>
> Maybe this has been covered before and I missed it but... I've just checked
> into the saving options/formats and am confused...
>
> I created a very simple chart of 8 people (2 generations). I did not select
> to use any background... Per Charting the chart size listed onscreen is 17"
> x 11".
>
> I then proceeded to save the chart in all the available formats and find
> some interesting differences...
>
> Saved as .pdf the chart size is close to what is shown in Charting; 16.471"
> x 10.724" at 300 Resolution. The .pdf format also preserves transparency (as
> no background was chosen within Charting).
>
> BUT if I save in any other available format (bmp, jpeg, tiff, png, psd)
> using the option to save with the lowest compression/largest file size, the
> size is reduced to 1587 pixels x 1040 pixels (converts to 5.29" x 3.465" at
> 300 Resolution. Additionally the background is solid (white) even though
> none was selected when drawing the chart and all but jpeg format allow
> transparency...
>
> Why the differences?
> As a side note... clicking on the calculate button (for file size) does
> nothing...
>
> Connie
>
> ---------------------
> The one reply I received from John on the Beta List Mar 9, 2008
> John wrote:
> What version are you using?
> Version 1.0.049 clicking on calc did not work for me Version 7.0.074 which I
> assume is the current Beta release, gives me Calculated File Sizes for all
> file types.
>
> I'm seeing unexpected file sizes as well Version 7.0.0.74
> 3x5 landscape
>
> As reported by Adobe Photoshop
> Type Calculated Size 3x5 landscape
> PDF 248,159 4.63in x 2.70 in
> BMP 345,042 1.479 x .863 300.125 pixels/inch 444x259 pixels
> JPEG 100% 18,875 1.48 x .863 300 pixels/inch 444x259 pixels
> JPEG 50% 8,654 1.48 x .863 300 pixels/inch 444x259 pixels
> JPEG 1% 3,788 1.48 x .863 300 pixels/inch 444x259
> pixels Very Blurry
> Tiff 2,810 1.48 x .863 300 pixels/inch 444x259 pixels
> PSD 63,606 1.48in x 0.863in 300 pixels/inch 444x259
> pixels
>
> Attaching LWC file and small tiff
> John

> My latest post Mar 15, 2008 to the 'Chart Beta List' of which there has been
> no reply:
> Just wondering if anyone is checking the chart list anymore... or should I
> [...]

The next generation of Windows Live is here
http://www.windowslive.co.uk/get-live