However, there is also a similar usage of the word "of" that wouldn't necessarily mean that the person lived in the location or was born there either, but that his/her family is differentiated from others of the same surname by a given location. An example would be "Thomas Dunaway of the Spartanburg Dunaways."

Penny

Thanks, Penny. I knew there was a reason I posed this question to the group because I would never have come up with this explanation myself. How would you input your example into Legacy?

I most often see the "of" location in older genealogies and have wondered if it meant something specific "back then" that was universally understood and has since been abandoned.
Nancy