Not sure about the US or British Isles but there in Canada when a person is
adopted legally; they automatically recieve a Birth Certificate
 with the Surname of the family which adopted them.
The Surname is legally changed by the government and not just the families
adopting.

Before this law was instated ( tho I don't know when it started)  it was still
possible many many years ago that a birth  certificate or even batptism and
christneing recorss would have the peroson  as belonging to the family which
raised them or took them in., thus  it would have their surname on  and not
actually who concieved them.

The reason that it was common for such things to be  kept secret way back
ebfore   social security and all our modern technology; was simply as I related
in an earlier message....... it doesn't matter where a person came from or how
they got to be; but much rather who they became.

If you read in my earlier post you will see that I mentioned NO ones family
tree is Pure.
Every family is fuill of  peopl way back  that cannot be proved if the parents
wer acyually the parents or granparents or even a friendly neighbour taking in
a baby or small  child born out of wedlock or some other misfortune.

Anyone who isists that their blood lines are pure is not facing  reality of
times gone by..\

I am proud of every one of my ancestors who  ever they might turn out to be; as
they  learned to become strong and  victorious and overcomers despite all the
obstacles surving  day to day live  and rearing rather large families in those
days.
I  respect and honour each one of them for who they are and were and not for
how they came to be.
We as well as they are all God's Wonderful Creations.

Thanks for listening. Shirl

I've read of this study too, and believe it was more like 25%.  It didn't

occur to me to think of this as being sad; but more like a joke on the DAR!
Rape and incest account for only a small proportion of unknown parents,
I believe.  So many orphaned or neglected children were simply taken in
by loving parents and raised as their own with no questions asked. Before
Social Security, the technical facts of birth or surname didn't matter.

I've known from the get-go that the sanctity of primary sources was an
illusion.  One of my first ventures into genealogy involved getting a copy
of my grandfather's Delayed Birth Certificate, which he needed to apply
for Social Security in the 1950s.  Though I later found it was common
knowledge that he was adopted, this little fact was NEVER mentioned
by anyone during his lifetime.  The presumption is that he didn't know it,
though I have my doubts about that.  Anyway, I knew immediately that
all his documented "proofs" of his birth were falsified.  But he had
earned his Social Security benefits, and could not have collected them
without a birth certificate, so he was forced to lie by circumstances
beyond his control.

The effect on me is that I have never taken the "documentation" of
anyone's heritage very seriously.  I know this is genealogical heresy,
but there it is!  My own personal opinion (for which I realize I may
be tarred and feathered!) is that the percentage quoted in my first
sentence is much closer to 100%!

The long-term effects on genealogical research of things like this, when
coupled with the current trend in alternate methods of conception simply
boggle the mind!

Kent Myrick