Melanie,
Some time ago, some one on this LUG suggested www.censustools.com.  I
am using these spreadsheets now and I'm satisfied with them.  They are
Excel spreadsheets that can be downloaded and saved to your computer.
Then you can fill in as needed.  If you save them by family name, you
have a good picture of which census records you still need.

The spreadsheets are free to download, but the creator requests a mere
$10 donation for his hard work.  (No advertisement here, since I do
not know him.)

As far as copying and pasting into Legacy, the previous reply from
Mary Moyer would probably be more concise.  I just thought I'd mention
this tool in case you were interested.

Dede Holden