To: <LegacyUserGroup@legacyfamilytree.com>
Sent: Sunday, April 20, 2008 5:59 AM
Subject: [LegacyUG] Restore multimedia zip file

Has anyone ever had difficulty extracting Legacy multimedia files that were created on another computer?

For a couple years I've been copying my Legacy multimedia files from desk to laptop, (sometimes vice-versa), using File / backup multimedia files to create a zip file and then extracting on the other computer. Both computers used the same Win XP zip extraction utility. I did not have a zip creation utility on either. I assumed Legacy used it's own internal zip creation utility.

Win XP can't create zip files so 2 months ago I installed a free "Secure zip for windows" on desktop to enable sending a more compact email attachment to a cousin.

Yesterday I copied Legacy FDB file from desk to laptop and also the multimedia zip backup. I deleted all Legacy multimedia files (some have been renamed or moved within subdirectories so would no longer be linked). When I extracted the multimedia zip backup on laptop it stopped with a message that a file required a password to unzip. Not knowing a password I clicked "skip file" for about 60 times until extraction completed.

I then used Options/Customize/Locations to create a list of missing MM files. Mostly the missing were .mht (MHTML) but some were .jpg and maybe .bmp.

I was able to open the multimedia zip backup in Win explorer and drag and drop the subdirectories into legacy to fill in the missing MM files.

Apparently the Secure zip program on my desktop adversely affects the Legacy backup multimedia files created there.

--
Richard Van Wasshnova
Seal Beach, CA