I read the help feature on 'Meaningful Picture Names' and have been considering
adopting the suggested system. It seems pretty logical, but I do have some
questions about how to best apply the suggested method.
Mr. James Perry's method of identifying photos and use of Access is quoted in
part '...My naming convention starts with the unique User ID number that I
assign to each individual into my family file. The User ID consists of the
first four letters of their surname plus their four-digit RIN number. For
example, Hugh Joseph Lyall, RIN 339, was assigned User ID Lyal0339.
If this family file is ever exported, the RIN number may change, but the User
ID will always stay the same. Its uniqueness can quickly be checked with a
Detailed Search. (To quickly assign User ID numbers to the thousands of
individuals in my family file, I created an Update Query in Microsoft Access.)
When naming the image of Hugh Joseph Lyall, I called the file Lyal0339ind.jpg.
I named the images of his marriage and death certificates and picture of his
cemetery marker Lyal0339mar.tif, Lyal0339dea.tif and Lyal0339bur.jpg,
respectively.
The three letters following the User ID part the filename represent what the
picture is about (the individual, or his/her marriage, death and burial events,
etc.)....'.
I made 4 copies of my *.fdb file so that if a problem arose, I would have 3 to
recoup. I change the .fdb to .mdb (ignoring the warnings) and opened my
experimental file in Access. I opened 'tblIR' and a made query to extract just
the Surname and IDIR (the RIN number). Using the first four letters of the
surname and 5 digits for my RIN number (I use 5 digits instead of Mr Perry's
note, since I have almost 17000 RIN's in file). Entering 'RUNI00001' as the
user ID in the IDIR column, I added 9 more with different data. I exited
Access, changed the .mdb back to .fdb, opened the file and observed that
everything worked as I had hoped and that no untoward errors were encountered -
in other words it worked! Surprised me!!! The 10 people I had assigned User ID
number's reflected that data in the User ID field.
By doing this method, I discern two major issues I need some advice in the
Access portion (I'm a real 'noob' when it comes to Access usage - enough to be
dangerous!):
(1) Is there a way in Access to 'quickly assign' (Mr. Perry's words) and
automate the preparation of the User ID without having to physically enter each
one?
(2) Once the photos for the 10 were renamed, they disappeared from the Legacy
screen. I had to re-install each of them because of the re-naming. Is there
some way to automate re-naming several hundred photos in my Legacy Data file to
Mr Perry's suggested naming?
At the moment, I suspect that individual USER ID changes to each RIN and for
the re-naming of each Photo would have to be done individually - but I'm hoping
there is a way.
Sorry for the long winded explanation to ask some questions, but I'm hoping
someone with more experience can assist me.