Shelly:

You're on the right track with your locations.  As you've discovered, the
city-county-state-country format doesn't necessarily work outside the US.
The farm name is very important for Norwegian locations so I would stick
with what you have.  Others on the list are much more qualified to speak to
English locations.  I think you just need to recognize that you may have
different formats for different countries and try to be consistent from
country to country.

For early American locations you first need to decide on a cutoff date.  I
use 4 Jul 1776 because it's so recognizable but it's probably historically
incorrect.  (Simply declaring independence didn't make it a fact.)
Nevertheless, for US locations prior to 1776 or whatever date, you can use
city, county, and province.  You'll have to decide whether you want to use
the placeholder commas or not.  I think the most convenient way to find
official names of provinces is Wikipedia but be aware that even these
changed over time.  An alternate that some use is to put "British North
America"  or "BNA" in the country position, although this is really not a
country name.  The abbreviation can be confusing, and the full term gets
tedious to read in reports while I think that most readers would recognize
where Massachusetts Bay Colony was without the BNA designation (although our
Australian friends may disagree).

Just some things to think about.

Kirsten