Mike Fry wrote:
Gene Young wrote:
Thomas Herson wrote:
I'm wondering if a lot of people aren't reading all their e-mail before responding to a quesion. That could be the reason why hours after a question has been posed people continue to respond even though the answer has been posted a dozen times or more.

Because, due to the nature of the internet, some people do not receive their email until after a response has been sent. Because of the lag in receiving their email they send an answer, in an attempt to be helpful, without KNOWING a response has been sent. Unless EVERYONE agrees to NOT answer a question before 24 hours have passed this will continue to be the norm. I, for one, would rather receive five responses relatively quickly than one response too late. :-)

No Gene. That's not what Thomas was trying to get at. I think what he was trying to say was: Why don't people read *ALL* of their received messages before they reply to one. Then, they might notice that replies have already been received and that consequently they do not need to add a superfluous reply.

My answer addressed just that. I a person has not SEEN the previous thirty answers posted, then he THINKS he is the first to answer and doesn't find out the truth until ALL the mail catches up. It will continue this way until the backbone of the internet truly achieves consistent and reliable "SPEED OF LIGHT" throughput. :-) Ain't gonna happen in this lifetime! :-(

Of course, maintaining correct threading would also help this!

Speaking of threading, I believe this equine has been sufficiently flogged.

--
Gene Y.
n2kvs