I agree.  When I am asked if I am adding a new person or linking to an
existing person, I check "link" and verify that I do (or don't)
already have this person.  It's very simple to close the window and
add the new person if he/she doesn't already exist.  I've also found
it a relatively simple process to merge the two if I accidentally add
someone twice.

I was continuously aggravated by FTM when I tried to add a new person
with the same name as someone already in my file.  Some people might
enjoy machines that try to think for them, but a little of that goes a
long way with me.

Dede Holden