And is that 68 degrees north or 68 degrees south? Either way, close to the pole!

Elizabeth
researching the descendants of William and Sarah (Patterson) Thompson

To: <LegacyUserGroup@legacyfamilytree.com>
Sent: Saturday, June 14, 2008 3:14 PM
Subject: Re: [LegacyUG] Version 7 Lat/Long format

681234.293 = 68 degrees, 12 minutes, and 34.293 seconds.

John Brockman

-- "Dede Holden" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Jenny and Jon,

I must be a math/geognoramus.  Here's a quote taken from the Help file
in Legacy.

"The latitude and longitude must be in the form of degrees, minutes
and seconds.  The degrees must be between 0 and 90, if a latitude, and
between 0 and 180, if a longitude.  The minutes and seconds must be
between 0 and 59.  The seconds can have up to three decimal places
after it.  e.g. 681234.293."

If the degrees must be between 0 and 90 or (0 and 180 for longitude),
and the minutes and seconds must be between 0 and 59  then where do
you get the number 681234?  It's not between 0 and 59 or 90 or 180!

I understand latitude and longitude, but I don't understand this
number format.  Is there someone who can put it in 6th grade math
terms?

Thanks!
Dede Holden