IMHO, they are not the same thing. 'can't read and
write' shows lack of education. 'unable to read or
write' may have to do with medical situations (blind,
brain damaged, idiotic). Both sentences are the
required answers to census questions in various
locations. It is, of course, your choice to do what
you feel is correct.
I have found that replacing can be too specific. In
this task, I would use the search for the phrase read
and write, and tag all 'owners'. then change them one
at a time. Sometimes I had searched with the wrong
amount of space-s.
Good luck
Rich in LA CA