Martin,

This situation is where you use private marriage and private child-parent relationship.

The relationship between your male family member (father) and the mother should be marked as private. Mark his relationship with child as private.

As the mother is visible to the family, she should not be marked as invisible or private. How to set her relationship with the child is based on the "visibility" of the child.

If the child is living with the mother and visible to the family, then let the child's relation to mother not be private and child not be invisible or private.

If the child is not visible - eg, was adopted out of the family, then it is appropriate to make the child invisible and make the relationship between the child and the mother private.

Does this make sense?

john.