----- Original Message ----- From: Jenny M Benson
 To: LegacyUserGroup@legacyfamilytree.com
 Sent: Sunday, July 06, 2008 8:10 PM
 Subject: Re: [LegacyUG] Census & BMD Name changes

 Colin Liddell wrote

 >My question is; how do I handle the different spellings of his surname?
 >
 >Do I make the assumption that the birth spelling is correct and just
 >use that in all instances or should I put in the Marriage notes the
 >spelling used there and in the Birth notes the spelling used there or
 >is there a better way.

 You should always record the exact spelling used in each document, so
 the Source for the Marriage should indicate the spelling used on the
 document you are citing for that, the Source for Birth should indicate
 the spelling used on the document you are citing for that and so on.

 As for which spelling you use as the "main" name, I generally use the
 one found in the Birth documentation unless this varies from "the norm"
 for that family.  For example, one of my main lines is Bloor and because
 of the local pronunciation was sometimes recorded as Blower.  In one
 instance, one child of a Bloor family has been registered as Blower:  I
 record this fact but still use Bloor as his main name.

 I know some people would record all the spelling variations as AKAs but
 personally I do not.  I take AKA - Also Known As - literally and use it
 when a person is actually known by a different name at some point in
 their life, like for example a person adopting a professional or stage
 name or a child taking on the surname of their stepfather.  I consider
 these spelling variations to be precisely that, spelling variations, not
 different names by which the person was known.  In earlier times
 spelling was much more fluid but the basic name was still the same name.
-- Jenny M Benson

 Thanks Jenny,  it would appear I am on the same or similar page.

I have done what you suggest but also used the AKA. There seems to be two schools of thought there so I will see how it developes. If needs be I will change it later as this is the only one I have like this at the moment. My father was Baptised Archibald George but was known all his life as George, would you classify that as an AKA?

Colin.