        www.polesworthabbey.co.uk

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of ronald
ferguson
Sent: 06 July 2008 17:53
To: legacyusergroup@legacyfamilytree.com
Subject: RE: [LegacyUG] Census - To split or not to split, that is the
question!

David,
I cannot understand that as the address below is fine (just checked it) Note
it is not .com. Actually it would be better with a slash at the end (have
now put that in) but that should not make ant difference.

Update your British Prime Ministers Timeline - Blogs
http://www.fergys.co.uk/
View the Grimshaw Family Tree at:
http://www.fergys.co.uk/Grimshaw/
For The Fergusons of N.W. England See:

> Date: Sun, 6 Jul 2008 08:52:37 -0700
> From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> To: LegacyUserGroup@legacyfamilytree.com
> Subject: Re: [LegacyUG] Census - To split or not to split, that is the
question!

> Ron,
>
> I tried visiting your Website at fergys.co (as you listed). I get a
> message returned "unable to located that page." I then tried
> www.fergys.com, and I get another message saying that that domain is
> available for purchase. Is there a typo in your post?
>
> Glenn Woodman
> Vancouver, Washington
>
> On Fri, Jul 4, 2008 at 1:07 PM, ronald ferguson  wrote:
>>
>> David,
>>
>> Re Census Sources. You are just about right, Master Sources by Country
but even the year is in the Detail! You can see the output on any Pedigree
Page on my fergys.co website (except for the Living). I do regard the output
as the important bit rather than which boxes are ticked on a form.

>> Sorry, I don't even know what The Lowe is except that I have a few
hundred of The Lowe Family in my tree.

>> Any idea which country it is supposed to be in? If so I'll have a look
through my reference books.

>> Ron Ferguson

>> Update your British Prime Ministers Timeline - Blogs
>> http://www.fergys.co.uk/
>> View the Grimshaw Family Tree at:
>> http://www.fergys.co.uk/Grimshaw/
>> For The Fergusons of N.W. England See:
>> http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/fergys/
>>

>>> From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>>> To: LegacyUserGroup@legacyfamilytree.com
>>> Subject: RE: [LegacyUG] Census - To split or not to split, that is the
question!
>>> Date: Fri, 4 Jul 2008 18:21:07 +0100
>>>
>>> Thanks for the reply Kirsten.
>>>
>>> I am only an occasional user and to be honest, I'd forgotten about the
>>> clipboard - most of my census details were set up some years ago before
>>> found the clipboard, this is why this stuck in my mind.
>>>
>>> The real point I suppose is that I set up my (relatively small) database
>>> before the advent of the new templates and I can't understand the
rationale
>>> for splitting/ lumping with regard to census lists. I could be wrong,
but
>>> it sticks in my mind that Ron Ferguson may be a 'really big lumper' with
>>> regard to census recording (If you are reading this Ron, no offence
meant
>>> :-) ) I may be wrong, but I think he might even use '1901, England' as a
>>> Master Source with everything else as Detail.
>>>
>>> < around this (I'll copy it here for you, in case you can help):
>>>
>>> If someone from afar emails me because they suspect we might be related,
>>> then at the end of the email the person writes,
>>>
>>> "by the way, do you have links with a place called 'The Lowe'? I'm
afraid I
>>> don't know much else about it".
>>>
>>> How do I check? As far as I can work out, in order to search Legacy, you
>>> need to know where you are looking. There is no 'seach absolutely
>>> everything in Legacy' for 'The Lowe'. I don't think you can even just
>>> search all census info. If I split my census extremely, I can scroll
>>> through the census list to try and find 'The Lowe' which will be
somewhere
>>> part of my Master Source list (if I have a census for it). If I put it
as a
>>> Detail Source, I have nothing to scroll through. Specific details cannot
>>> easily be found - there is no list! I know there is a complicated work
>>> around, but it takes for ever.>>
>>>
>>> Perhaps the search feature is something else I need a refresher on.
>>>
>>> Best wishes and thanks for your reply. I am grateful for your input.
>>>
>>> David
>>>
>>> *****************************************************
>>> David S Brookes
>>> Musical Director, The Brewood Singers
>>> www.brewoodsingers.co.uk
>>> Organist & Choirmaster, Polesworth Abbey
>>> www.polesworthabbey.co.uk
>>> *****************************************************

>>> [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Kirsten
>>> Bowman
>>> Sent: 04 July 2008 17:00
>>> To: LegacyUserGroup@legacyfamilytree.com
>>> Subject: RE: [LegacyUG] Census - To split or not to split, that is the
>>> question!
>>>

>>> David:
>>>
>>> Why would you have to be "setting up the same Source Details in some
cases
>>> about 7 or 8 times"? Do you not use the Source Clipboard? If not, you're
>>> missing one of the handiest features in Legacy. You create your
>>> "semi-lumped" Master Source as "1901 census, England, Worcestershire,"
open
>>> the Source Clipboard, enter the rest of the citation there, including
all
>>> family members, and attach the image. Then you simply go to any field
for
>>> any individual in the listing and click the "-" sign on the left of the
>>> Individual's Information screen to attach the full citation to the field
>>> where your cursor is. You can use the same source citation for every one
of
>>> the individuals in the household, and for evidence of their name, birth
date
>>> and location, relationship, or anything else that you want.
>>>
>>> It's so easy!
>>>
>>> Kirsten

>>> [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] Behalf Of
>>> music-line
>>> Sent: Friday, July 04, 2008 7:21 AM
>>> To: LegacyUserGroup@legacyfamilytree.com
>>> Subject: [LegacyUG] Census - To split or not to split, that is the
>>> question!
>>>

>>> Since the Legacy 7 update with the new Census templates for England, I
have
>>> had a little look, but now get the impression that I may be alone in
using
>>> my 'maximum splitting' system for sources.
>>>
>>> The new templates, by the way the defaults are set out, imply that a
census
>>> Master Source should be identified as for e.g. 1901 census of England,
>>> Worcestershire, with the Source Detail being for the specific location
e.g 3
>>> Wood Street, Dudley.
>>>
>>> In the past I have always used the specific location as part of the
Master
>>> Source so one of my master sources would be e.g. 1871 England Census -
>>> England, Worcestershire, Dudley, 3 Wood Street; with the census form
details
>>> copied to the 'Text of Source' tab. I have therefore used the Source
>>> Details more sparingly, being a place to make notes such as e.g. 'Was
John
>>> really born in White Ladies Aston or did the census taker just copy the
>>> information on the line underneath instead...' etc; and to copy the
specific
>>> details for this person from the text of master source; and to indicate
the
>>> surity, etc.
>>>
>>> For me it then seems to make it easier to apply this 'more specific
master
>>> source to the other individuals living at the same address. If, as the
>>> templates suggest, I use the Source Details for the specific address,
more
>>> than one person would share this detail so I would end up setting up the
>>> same Source Details in some cases about 7 or 8 times, each time linking
the
>>> approprite scan to the detail. My way, I just link in the master source
and
>>> copy the relevant bits to the detail source etc. I find it quicker.
>>>
>>> I know I can alter the template to make it fit my reqirements, but I
just
>>> wondered if anyone else split things down to such small units, and if
there
>>> is any advantage of not splitting. For me, having a long list of souces
is
>>> not a problem and providing one has a consistant and carefully thought
out
>>> way of naming sources things are easy enough to find.
>>>
>>> Your thoughts and experience would be valued.
>>>
>>> Best wishes
>>>
>>> David

>>> David S Brookes
>>> Musical Director, The Brewood Singers
>>> www.brewoodsingers.co.uk
>>> Organist & Choirmaster, Polesworth Abbey
>>> www.polesworthabbey.co.uk

Find the best and worst places on the planet
http://clk.atdmt.com/UKM/go/101719807/direct/01/