Donna:
That's not just an Oklahoma custom....It happens in Ontario Canada too...
My dad kept the old dinner bell from the home farm for just such a purpose....Mind you the thing was so heavy it took three people to lift it.... I remember Mom telling me that when she and Dad got married the Chivaree-ers(Is that even a word?) managed to get their bed suspended in the big tree out back...Mom and Dad were staying with my grandparents at the time so I think the rabble rousers likely had a few conspirators....and for those who are wondering...both my parents are still living!
Kathy
And don't forget the old-time "chivaree," which my grandmother (born in 1880) told me about when I was a child.